www.flickr.com

Monday, July 20, 2009

wizened

One of the hardest things about starting clinical rotations this year was figuring out that no matter how hard you work and how much you read, a big part of the training is getting a certain amount (=years) of experience and seeing a certain number (=lots) of patients. I'm starting my neurology rotation now, and because I have not made my schedule straightforward for myself, what with the research and the children, I am the only student on this rotation who has done other hospital rotations before.

So! Suddenly I know what's going on and no one else does, and I am not disoriented, and I know my way around, and I know how to learn efficiently on these rotations (=reading, not blogging), just by virtue of having spent 9 months more doing this than my new classmates have. I'm not sure what my point is, but it is really nice not to be anxious and confused all the time, for once. Maybe this is what failing a grade would have been like? Should I recommend that to young children?

Also, everyone treats you really differently if they find out you've done 9 months versus zero months of hospital rotations. If it was weird getting used to some of the hierarchy to begin with, it is even weirder to have a different place in the hierarchy because of...showing up at work. At which I am quite good, aside from OB appointments that I think start getting more frequent at some point (23 weeks today), if I am remembering the incessant appointments towards the end from last time correctly. Anyway, next time you see me, remember my excellent attendance record and genuflect, or something.

No comments: