www.flickr.com

Monday, December 03, 2007

Mmmmm...SOCK BRAINS

What's that? You think I should be working on my dissertation? Instead of painstakingly fashioning giant insects out of household items? Well who asked you? No one, that's who.

The inspiration behind the inspired creation of the inspiring insects was Dylan's membership in the Naturalist Scouts of the Universe, founded by a visionary 5-year-old. We wanted to do a nature project for it so we could send him some pictures, but the sad demise of the snow leading to the 6 inches of slush outside prevented us from doing anything outdoors. I have hardly ever seen the roads as bad as they were today.

Because of the way my research is set up I can't do too much with it on the weekends anyway. Otherwise I surely would have been at my computer working away. That always works well with Dylan around, I've noticed. And between the food poisoning and the working toward an Important Deadline this Thursday Aaron was around between 11am and 12pm Saturday, leaving Dylan and me with plenty of Together Time.

We had two unexpected really fun things happen yesterday.

One. Look what I won! One of these guys. Just for posting every day in November, as if I should be encouraged to do such a thing. If you have any ideas about which one I should choose you can tell me in the comments.

Two. We went to a coffee shop with friends late yesterday afternoon to head off the traditional Two Hours of Cranky Before Dinner, brought to you by Kate and Dylan. Dylan was cautious at first, but soon became comfortable enough to run all around, soliciting smiles from coffee shop patrons, at least those able to tear their glance away from their laptops. I do not know how a child of ours is able to work a crowd in such a manner. She was soon adopted by two wild 4 or 5 year old boys (we're very progressive), who only knocked her over (literally, not the liquor store kind of knocking over) a couple of times. There was a benefit concert in half of the shop that we didn't want to pay for, so we just hung out in the other half. At least for a while. After three or four times of Dylan going over to the door of the other room and staring wistfully at the band while swaying to the music we had no option but to pay so she could get closer. She ran right over to the edge of the stage and planted herself happily, occasionally standing up to rock out to a particularly good song. If only she could have a lighter.

Curled up by the stage (in white shirt) with her buddies twirling around her

Getting her groove on

And the inevitable Talking To

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the pink horned fuzzy zombie is best. The glassy eyes make it look all the more 'undeader'

Annie ~ إني said...

The brown and gray stripe zombie is a clear winner due to resemblance to cookie monster/general cuteness.

I apologize for professing to know how to best spend your time--giant, stuffed-animal bugs for all!