www.flickr.com

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

2 Month Visit

I have been making an effort to get out of the house with Dylan because I get antsy if I don't get out enough. In general once we get in the car and get going things have been fine and I've taken her all sorts of places with no trouble. So it is irritating to me that going to the pediatrician today has been one of our hardest outings. I had to fill out a ton of paperwork while holding her and wait for a long time in the exam room with her mostly naked and it was just generally stressful.

The visit went fine. I don't have anything I'm worried about now that I've worked through my elimination diet issues, and she's doing all the things they say two month olds should be doing (hint: not much). She impressed everyone with her delightful night sleeping marathons. Actually her naps have been getting better too. She doesn't wake up as much with gas. Today she slept for four hours in a row as her only nap, so I got to do some work and go jogging.

I let her be enrolled in a clinical trial to test a new vaccine against bacterial meningitis, which is one reason we were there for so long -- an hour and 45 minutes total. They gave me all the information and I agreed to do the study and then they said, oh, by the way, there's a half hour observation period before you can go home. That was a hard decision because on the one hand I am skeptical of the medical establishment and new drugs and vaccines and want no part of it and on the other hand I want to work in public health and do research that will rely entirely on people being willing to enroll in studies and it's a disease that kills babies and all. The three shots she got weren't fun and I've never seen her scream like that, but she was fine again within five minutes.

Snuffy had two of his (local) lady friends over today. Aaron and I both independently tried to photograph the three of them together, but it ended up looking mostly like this:














Also, I think miss Emma is really a muppet:

No comments: