www.flickr.com

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Now you'll really wish I would stick to posting pictures

Man, it is a little hard to get my blogging legs back after spending a very intense month writing such gems as this:

Lead was first added to gasoline in the 1920s because it reduced engine knock. Although the health consequences of lead exposure were not well defined at that time, some scientists and the U.S. Public Health Service argued that the addition of lead to gasoline would contaminate the environment. Nonetheless, by 1936 lead was present in 90% of gasoline sold in the U.S.

and this:

With, of course, appropriate citations every other word. As perhaps you can tell from the above excerpts, I finally finished a draft of my dissertation proposal, which until May 22nd is in the hands of my committee and thus not my problem. It ended up being many, many pages of captivating prose, with each sentence more riveting than the last. I am going to give an hour long public presentation of the project in mid July.

In the last two weeks I also had to write 25 pages for a class, give a presentation, and put together a proposal for an institutional review board for one of the states I am working with, so it has been sort of crazy around here. Every time Dylan goes to sleep or even looks sleepy I scurry back down the street to my office, as I have been trying to do all my work without giving up any baby time or any of my own sleep time.

We actually have a pretty nice routine going where Aaron and I both get time to do our work, get Snuff some Snuffercise, hang out with the baby, and still keep her at daycare for only 5-6 hours a day. Of course, someone is going to throw a wrench in the works by graduating and having to get a job, and someone else is going to throw a different wrench in the same works by going mobile, but I at least am a bastion of resisting change. One day this week I went to nurse Dylan and she was in the next room playing, the one they are going to move her to in a few weeks. It made me a little less nervous about messing with her routine because there is just so much more for the babies to do there that once she settles in I suspect she'll be pretty happy.

We had a traumatic incident yesterday that involved fishing Gandalf the fish out of the (switched off) garbage disposal, but he came through unscathed except for a splash of post traumatic stress fishorder.

No comments: