www.flickr.com

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

ME ME LETTER

Check it out, I actually do some work on occasion. Although you probably won't be able to read the actual letter unless you're at a university or somewhere else with medical journals or happen to purchase subscriptions to journals as a hobby. You'll just have to trust me that it is deeply insightful, much like such posts as Kate is a Big Fat Pregnant Beached Whale and Dylan on a Plane.

Sorry, got to playing in the archives there. I actually have hardly ever gone back and read anything I've posted before, which is now going on two years, so I think it might be fun to do a RetroBleisenSpective (Aaron, that was for you) soon.

********

Dylan has hit an important milestone: use of possessive pronouns. Specifically "my," or "ME ME" as she has termed it. As in, ME ME COOKIE. ME ME BALL. ME ME SHOE. Charming, just charming. I was wondering when kids usually start differentiating between you and me and mine and yours, and I came upon an article about 18 to 24-month-olds which had the following observation: The use of possessive pronouns was initially associated with physical aggression. Heh, the kids who figured out the idea that some stuff was theirs and not theirs that got aggressive about it. And indeed, as soon as Dylan started noticing that things were hers, including ME ME MOMMY, she got VERY protective of them. There's one girl at daycare who, reasonably enough, thinks I'm quite cool and always comes running over to say hi when I walk in. If Dylan notices she comes sprinting across the room to cling to my leg. She does the same thing if I give Snuffy a particularly affectionate greeting. I am suddenly foreseeing a whole bunch of years of forced sharing.

No comments: