www.flickr.com

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Checking in

So far surgery is going reasonably well. I've watched a lot of mucking around in people's abdomens, which doesn't seem to phase me. I guess there used to be a pig lab where students got to remove the still-beating heart of an anesthetized pig, but we don't do that anymore. Something about PETA. The standing and standing and standing for ungodly numbers of hours is really hard, and I still feel like my functional knowledge is way less than it should be, and I'm in a different hospital than usual so I'm again totally disoriented. But this is a pretty interesting thing to be doing, so I'm trying to get as much out of it as I can. Oh, and they have a lot of fancy retracting devices, so the traditional med student role has been preempted. My hours so far this week have actually been reasonable, but I think that was sort of a fluke. The household seems to be muddling along okay without my micromanagement. I've been leaving videos for Dylan in the mornings and evenings for when I'm not around. She's still puttering around saying DYLAN HAPPY though, so she's doing okay.

No comments: