www.flickr.com

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Surgery: Day 17

I am grudgingly starting to enjoy myself. All those years of video games paid off when I got to control the camera during a colonoscopy yesterday. And I have been stapling and suturing various things to various other things and there is starting to be a little bit of knowledge that has been stuffed into my head, although it tends to leak out rather quickly. I think I am also doing better because I am not so anxious and disoriented. Also, I only have two more weeks left of this rotation. Also, I had no idea how many people need their gallbladders out, all day every day.

There is a lot of teaching by the socratic method (def: allowing me to make a fool out of myself at great length), which is actually a nice way to learn if you can get over being wrong (confidently!) all the time, but I think one of the surgeons has gone a little overboard as he spent the day grilling me about state capitals (hint: bismarck. also: south carolina is the palmetto state).

Aaron and Dylan are muddling along without me, although Dylan now turns into a clingy mess when she does get her mitts on me. It took me two hours to get her to bed last night, I think because she just wanted to be with me instead of going to sleep. When I'm not around she's totally fine though, so I'm not really worried about her (except for a slight increase in grumpiness; aaron gave her a big smile when he got her out of bed yesterday and she glared and pointed at him and yelled NO).

No comments: