www.flickr.com

Monday, November 24, 2008

Bleisentraz

Was that Aaron who commented about putting the crib back together? It's not happening. I am not physically capable of hauling 50-hundred pounds of kid up over that rail. Also: she doesn't need to be in a crib. The problem now is sort of removed from the initial bed transmogrification. She's just so anxious about going to sleep in general that she wants one of us in there all the time, and I'm not sure changing it back would even help. The solution as I see it is to conveniently disappear for the two hours after bedtime while your spouse takes care of matters. I'm all about action.

Another phase that Dylan has entered recently is the compulsive lining up of things. She has always been into organization. Her daycare teachers told me recently she has always been the best cleaner and I was not surprised because give that kid a bucket and a pile of stuff that needs to go in the bucket and she is never happier. A doting grandparent suggested that assembly line work may be her best career option. But now she's got these flashy fine motor skills to back it up and what do you get?

An interpretive spice rack. I'm sure if she knew more letters it would be alphabetized. She also carefully empties the plates from the dishwasher, clean or not, into different sizes. Over the weekend she took every item of clothing she owns and carefully laid it out on the floor of her room. I thought it would be a big mess to clean up, but she had been so meticulous that it was already all sorted when I went to put it away. Other recent piles of debris around the house have included diapers, assorted cooking implements, and stuffed animals.


The thing about the stuffed animals was, she was not just lining them up. They were Not Nice. Each one of them had hauled off and smacked her (really, I saw it) and required Discipline. You know how it goes. There was not a lot of repentance either so they had to stay put for quite a while. Then Dylan hit herself and had to join the wall of shame. I'm glad someone is doing something to keep that kid in line. This is sounding like a healthy game, right?

Then they all said sorry and things took a psychotic turn as they were released to the other side of the room, where a maniacal choo choo train awaited.

Hey, now there are two of them making me feel like I am living in a psych experiment.

Choo Choo!

No comments: