www.flickr.com

Monday, July 07, 2008

Almost Two

I think I figured out why everyone thinks their kid is a genius. It feels like some kind of miracle to go, in a matter of months, from grunting the occasional word or two to waxing eloquent on the topic of No Doggie Eat Shoe. For example. That is to say, I think we're coming close to actually conversing with Dylan, although she has retained many colloquial expressions and syntax from her native Dylish. I just have to say a word a coupe times (or once, in the case of dessert-related vocabulary) and she knows it. She's been able to count to two for a while, but further counting has been stymied because it's hard to say three. It turns out she actually knows more than that because yesterday I was counting to myself and after I said five I was really surprised when she yelled six.

Probably relatedly she's going through some kind of developmental...thing right now. She's given up eating and sleeping, I guess in favor of talking, and gets just hysterical when we put her to bed. Hey, she's up right now! She has also been particularly cautious, so you may not have appreciated that picture from yesterday of her floating by herself in a pool as a small miracle. She has been very personable and engaging lately, and also fairly quick to haul off and smack me, whether for fun or frustration.

Sorry to cut things a little short, but I have to go tend to the child (see: up right now).

No comments: