www.flickr.com

Saturday, July 19, 2008

The trip so far

To start, here is where I am right now. Well, the condo's just to the right of the picture. It's about fifty steps from the conference, so it's really easy to come back and relax during breaks. This is a necessity when you are totally inept at adjusting to your stay at 12,000 feet. The air is SO DRY and the sun is SO STRONG and I am SO DEHYDRATED. Also sort of short of breath, so it's actually more than a convenience to have the conference close to the housing.

The trip out was fine, but it takes about 10-12 hours of travel to get here. Add an hour if the shuttle you book from the airport does not actually run during the summer, despite having a website that allows you to reserve a spot and pay for just such a trip.

I learned that the Detroit airport is surprisingly nice. There's this really long tunnel between terminals that goes under the runway that has a constant light and sound show. It's like airport, airport, airport, DISNEYWORLD, airport.

The guy who runs the program I'm in (nationally, not in Rochester) was on my shuttle, and he helped me determine that I would be presenting my poster at 6pm yesterday. I left Rochester at 8am, add plus or minus 12 hours, subtract two for the imposing Mountain Time Zone, and you will realize that the shuttle dropped me off at...5:45pm. I still showered beforehand, you'll be pleased to know. This is a conference that has people from all sorts of fields, so my poster was fun because it attracted ALL the other epidemiology people around.

There is currently a fireworks display going on (celebrating...being in the mountains?) that from the sound of it is originating in the living room.

I'm off to work on Project Hydrate. What can I say, I like to party.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you the lady or the dude in the picture?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I guess the picture changes. When I first looked at it it was just a lady and a dude making out, and I thought, what does Kate mean that she's "HERE"?

bleisenblog said...

Oh, that's embarrassing. I'm the lady.