www.flickr.com

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week 4

I keep having to resist the urge at school to point out how one situation or another resembles a) House b) Scrubs or c) ER. And I have already had the classic tv medical experience of leaving for the night and coming back in the morning to a totally clean empty room, having someone wonder aloud if/why the patient was moved in the night, only to find he had died three hours after we had left, which the audience figured out like five minutes ago. Not that that was funny, it just always happens.

In the mornings instead of packing all my stuff up in my backpack I pack all my various devices and papers into my white coat and then trudge around in it all day. I am slightly less disoriented than I was earlier in the week, but still pretty intimidated. Things I am not very functional at include: accessing all the different computer systems, performing physical exams on patients, using my pda, figuring out when to eat, presenting information about patients to the team I'm working with, knowing medical information, and knowing where I am in the hospital. I am functional at standing on my feet all day, but I don't like it.

Dylan was definitely out of sorts with me for a while, but she seems used to me being gone more now. I'm not sure how it's going to go when I am on rotations where I won't see her at all some days. I don't think either of us is going to be very happy about that. Aaron seems to be having no trouble taking on a lot of the household things I had been doing. So now the trick is to see exactly how little I can do around the house before he catches on.

No comments: