www.flickr.com

Friday, April 25, 2008

Living Dangerously

We here at Bleisenblog Headquarters have been very excited by a new development in traffic organization: the 20mph EZ-Pass lane. When we know one may be coming up, we start giddily anticipating the toll booths several miles in advance. If we're in a car where the sensor-thing isn't attached to the windshield, Aaron usually starts holding it up at least a mile ahead of time. On my way home from a trip to the outlet malls that resulted only in the purchase of 2 pairs of boxers and the return of a pair of SHOES for Dylan, SHOES that were fine in the store, but morphed into hot coals in the home, I eagerly merged into the far right lane ahead of the toll booth, in anticipation of 20mph of glory. My moment of triumph never materialized. There was a police car with its lights flashing blocking the far left lane, and as a result the rest of the lanes had gotten backed up. When I was only a few cars away from the booth, an SUV driver snapped. He couldn't take the 2-minute wait anymore and abruptly cut out of the next lane over into my lane. I thought the car just ahead of me had swerved in time, but I guess it hadn't because it and the SUV both came to a full stop right ahead of me before eventually pulling over. I had time to get my speed up to all of 3mph before I got to the toll booth, and all was lost. D

on't they have the toll sensor things in the overpasses in Australia? That would be the ultimate in full-speed toll reading. Next time I need an adventure I know where to go.

No comments: