www.flickr.com

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

And now for something completely different

About six months ago I lost Snuffy's favorite toy. I was tossing it for him as we walked along a trail in the woods and it went into some dense brush. Just as I was about to go searching for it, this other dog comes bouncing along, having chewed through his tether. He lured Snuffy off the trail down a steep slope into a swamp, where, happily, Snuffy had never thought to go before. The two of them splashed around for a while, then the other dog popped back up. But no Snuffy. It eventually occurred to me that this was out of character for a dog who doesn't like to be out of my line of sight for more than 30 seconds. Snuffy's rope had gotten tired around a tree five or six times, and I had to go wading down to free him. Then the other dog, well, dogged us for the rest of the walk and I had to go wandering around a nearby neighborhood until I found someone who recognized him. I tried calling the phone number on his collar, but no one answered and then my phone died. The dog wasn't really scary or aggressive, but he was pretty rough while playing and it was hard to wrangle both dogs at once. And I was six months pregnant. And Aaron was out of the country so I couldn't call him for help. So I didn't get to look for the toy.

For the next couple of months, every time I walked past the spot where the ball had gone into the woods I would root around sadly, with no luck. Snuffy is sort of a finicky fetcher, but with this toy he will run all day. It's a nice rubbery-plastic consistency so he can pick it up in the snow and chomp on it for fun. It makes it easier to get him to run around than with anything else I've tried. I was really bummed about it because my life is a constant quest to get Snuffy enough exercise and this seemed like quite a setback, and at the time I couldn't find another one on the Internet. We went back to the store where it was from, but they only had green ones, which aren't as squishy and easy to pick up as the pink ones so Snuffy was having none of it. I thought, maybe when it's winter and the leaves are gone I'll find it, but I didn't have much hope.

Monday Snuffy and I were walking along the same trail, when I noticed hey, the leaves are gone. Then I noticed hey, isn't that right where the unpleasantness happened? Then I turned my head 45 degrees to the right and looked down. And there it was, in all its hot pink glory, about a foot and a half from the edge of the trail. I lead a simple life. And I have a spoiled, spoiled dog.

ps Snuffy remembered the ball, sprinted around happily the moment he saw me with it, and fetched it frantically for the rest of the walk.

2 comments:

Sol said...

Enough about the baby and dog already.... noone cares about them!!!!

WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE Wii?

bleisenblog said...

He initially did not want this revealed to the Internet, but since you asked, Aaron went to Walmart at 5:30 this morning, figuring that would be plenty of time to get in the Wii line. There were TONS of people there, so he just gave up and went home. To his credit, rather than flopping back into bed crying from disappointment he then worked diligently until Dylan, Snuffy, and I woke up.