www.flickr.com

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Lurch

I have been holding out on you:

I can tell you the very day she took off. Tuesday. For the two days before that she suddenly wanted to push the stroller vast distances. I checked on Google Earth and one day she walked 3/4 of a mile. Then she figured out strollers are for suckers and forged out on her own. I was right, the walking doesn't actually lead to more damage around the house. What I didn't realize is that it is accompanied by a complete rejection of confinement in any form -- stroller, car seat, high chair. Don't fence her in. Unfortunately, this was the week we ate out every night because the house was ripped apart. Since it was freakishly hot all week at least most of the places had outside dining areas she could tear around in. But no more leisurely dining out about town for us, I'm afraid. I didn't think the whole small child thing would get more restrictive after a year, but look, it has.

I have also been holding out on you on something else. Dylan is moving up another room at daycare in a week. That seems quick. Wait, I just counted, it was quick. She has been in this room for only four months. Seems like sort of a weird system. Babies, they like the familiarity. I think once she gets used to it the new room should be better -- more activities, all the kids will be walking, they get to go out on the playground twice a day, they all nap at the same time (she is a very light sleeper and can't sleep if there is any hint of fun happening nearby). They have already been doing a good job of letting her get to know the teachers in the new room, which should continue this week. I can't help but think this is going to be traumatic for a while though. The only thing I still am not happy about is that they have them taking only one nap and she has in no way outgrown the second nap. It doesn't affect them, but we get a tried cranky baby and a daily nightmarish choice of a late nap or a crankypants extraordinaire. The other sad thing is that she has really bonded with one of her teachers. The teacher runs over to pick her up in the morning and is always holding her or playing with her whenever I show up. I know everyone thinks their own kid is cool, but it's fun having someone not related to us agree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your kid looks just a little intoxicated...congrats little one!!